Register now for the African Marine and Coastal Operational Services Webinar
On October 30th, 2020, 1-3 PM UTC, on the AIR Centre Networking Friday, we will have a Thematic Special Session on African Marine & Coastal Operational Services: examples from around the continent.
This Networking Friday session focuses on pan-continental African marine initiatives using EO data, technologies and services in support of African sustainable development. In the marine and coastal domains, the GMES-Africa initiative provides four consortia around the continent that are developing and implementing a variety of services, including the provision of oceanographic products, fisheries and aquaculture support, coastal ecosystem monitoring and maritime security. As a joint initiative between the African and European Unions, there is strong emphasis on realising value from the data, information, expertise and know-how offered by the Copernicus programme. The South African National Oceans and Coastal Information Management System will also be presented.
The session will present a variety of earth-observation based services from around the continent – services that focus on providing actionable information in the marine and coastal domain to a variety of stakeholders. These services, whilst all focusing on providing knowledge-based decision making tools, have different regional priorities and approaches to user co-design and service delivery. The session will also include a substantial guided Q&A session to further gather user perspectives and needs.
- 1:00 PM UTC – Introduction by moderator (TBA)
- 1:05 PM UTC – Short Introduction to GMES-Africa (TBA, AUC)
- 1:15 PM UTC – Marine and Coastal Areas Management in western Africa, Regional Marine Centre, University of Ghana (Kwame Agyekum, UG)
- 1:30 PM UTC – Earth Observation Operational Applications the Northern African Coastal Zone, National Authority for Remote Sensing and Space Science (Islam Abou El-Magd, NARSS)
- 1:45 PM UTC – Marine and Coastal Management in the East Africa Region, Mauritius Oceanography Institute (Oomarsing Gooroochurn / Javed Iqbal Mosaheb, MOI)
- 2:00 PM UTC – National Oceans and Coastal Information Management System (OCIMS), Department of Environment, Forestry and Fisheries (Marjolaine Krug, DEFF)
- 2:15 PM UTC – GMES-Africa Marine and Coastal Service Development for Southern Africa (MarCoSouth), Council for Scientific and Industrial Research (Bolelang Sibolla, CSIR)
- 2:25 PM UTC – Application of EO services in South African small-scale fisheries, ABALOBI (Greg Duggan, ABALOBI)
- 2:35 PM UTC – Q&A and user needs / audience response survey conducted by the moderator
- 3:00 PM UTC – Closing remarks by the moderator
More information about this session here.
Please register here.
We encourage you to participate in the survey on user needs for improved African Marine & Coastal Operational Services